History of The Club

ylc_fotorc&tsmall 

(Photo of The Late Cynthia & Gordon Knight. Secretary/Treasurer and Chairman)

 

2015 The Year of The Yorkshire Lancashire & Cheshire Diamond Jubilee

 

 The Yorkshire ,Lancashire & Cheshire Border Terrier Club was founded and registered with the Kennel Club in 1955.  It began with a group of Border Terrier enthusiasts getting together and deciding to form a breed club within the area of Yorkshire Lancashire and Cheshire.They all donated money to fund the club and these people became our founder members. It took a lot of hard work and dedication but eventually on the 25th September 1955 the Yorkshire Lancashire and Cheshire Border Terrier Club was founded.

The Founders decided the area for the club would be within the Yorkshire Lancashire and Cheshire boundaries and Skipton would be a suitable base for the club

The first show the Club held was a Match Meeting on Saturday 29th October 1955 at the Oldfellows Hall Hotel, Shipley.

A Limit Show was held on the 7th January 1956 at the Temperance Hall, Skipton and the judge was Mrs Long. The profit on the show was 15 shillings and six pence (equivalent today of seventy seven and half pence).

An Open Show was held on the 2nd June 1956, the judge was Mr Fielding and the show profit was £1.

The first Championship Show was held on 15th July 1961 at Meanwood W. M’s. Club Leeds, the Judge was Mr A L Water of Hexham, with an entry of 64 dogs.

The Dog Challenge Certificate Mrs Long’s Winstonhall Coundon Tim— Breeder Miss Turrall.

Reserve Dog Challenge Certificate Mr R Hall’s Deerstone Realization—Breeder P Lang.

Bitch Challenge Certicate Mrs McKnight’s Marrburn Morag—Breeder Mr D Cross.

Reserve Bitch Challenge Certificate Mr R Hall’s Brownside Rip of Deerstone—Mr W Hooton.

Best of Breed Mrs McKnight’s Marrburn Morag. 

~~~~~~~

 

In 1980 we celebrated 25 years with each member and exhibitor receiving a Silver Spoon

In 1995 we celebrated 40 years with each member and exhibitor receiving a red and gold Pen

In 2005 we celebrated 50 years with each member and exhibitor receiving a gold letter Opener

In 2015 we celebrated 60 years with each member and exhibitor receiving a Crystal Paperweight  

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

 

FOUNDER MEMBERS

 

MR G LEATT (CHAIRMAN)    MR A LUPSON (SECRETARY)     MR L WILLIAMS (TREASURER)

 

MRS J ARMITAGE. MRS J BROWN. MR W BROWN.  MR W CLARKE .    
MR A DUXBURY.  MRS I FAIRLE.  MR L GRANT.  MR R HALL.             
MR W HANCOCK. MR A W HOLMES .  MRS B S T HOLMES.   MR W HOOTON. 
MR G HUTCHINSON.    MR J MOON.  MR E MAWSON.   MRS E MAWSON. 
MISS PARKER.   MR H WALKER.  MISS A P WILLIAMS .  MRS  M  SUTHERLAND.

 

PRESIDENTS OF THE CLUB

1955 - 1958 Miss Vaux

1958 - 1973 Mrs Fairley

1973 - 1989 Mrs M Hall

1989 to Present Time Mr J B Baxter

 

CHAIRMEN

1955 -1958 Mr G. Leatt

1958 -1962 Mr R Hall

1962 (Part Year) Mr D.W.Clarke

1962 - 1978 Mr E. Mawson

1978 (Part Year) Mr W. Wrigley

1978 - 1980 Mr A. Duxbury

1980 - 1981 Mr R. Hall

1981 - 1989 Mr J. B. Baxter 

1989 - 1990 Mr F Bennett

1990 - 1999 Mr E Hutchinson

1999 to 2012 Mr T.A.G. Knight 

2012 to Present Time Mr K. Green

 

SECRETARIES 

1955 -1957 Mr B. Lupton

1957 - 1958  Miss J. Leatt

1958 - 1972 Mrs Walker

1972 - 1980 Mrs Beardswood

1980 - 2015 Mrs C. Knight

2015 Acting Sec  Mrs T. Green  

 

TREASURERS 

1955 - 1967 Mr Whitworth

1967 to 1972 Mrs Walker

1972 - 1979 Mrs Beardswood

1979 - 1984 Mrs E. Garnett

1984 - 1989 Mrs J. Jackson 

1989 - 1993 Mrs D. Rushby

1993 - 2015 Mrs C. Knight 

2015 Acting Treasurer Mrs A. Heathcote